Monday, November 21, 2016

The First Thanksgiving with the help of Grid Player

A few years ago, I ran across this little poem from SavvysecondGraders.blogspot. com that incorporated colors and the story of The first Thanksgiving.
I thought this poem would be a great tool to teach our students with Autism because using the colors is such a visual tool.  To complete this project, I went to Wal-Mart and purchased this large container of beads.  
You will also need pipe cleaners to make the bracelets.  To incorporate AAC into the activity, you can use a variety of methods to make requests of beads.  My choice for today is The Grid Player.  It is a free app from Apple. You can get a basic board to use with your iPad.  Here is a look at the color page.
Our core word of the month is "turn" for November.  You can certainly incorporate the word turn into this activity as well.  I am using a big mac switch for students to request their turn.  
You can share this short poem with your students, and as you come to a color word have them request it for their bracelet.  I like to send the bracelet home with the student and a copy of the poem.  

No comments:

Post a Comment