Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Talk like a pirate week in Speech using Assistive Technology

One of my favorite days to celebrate in September is Talk Like a Pirate.  There are so many ways to incorporate this theme into therapy sessions.  Here are a few ideas that I have used with my students who use low tech and high tech devices.
Here is a simple game that we play where student has to guess where the gold is hiding.  I have used this with students at all levels, and they all enjoy this guessing game. 
Well, it looks like this time the gold was hiding under the red boat!  


This next activity is a sensory activity using kinetic sand and gold jewels.  You can find the sand at Wal Mart, Micheals, and Hobby Lobby.  I found the jewels at the local Dollar store.  The kids love manipulating this sand, and finding treasure is a bonus.  After they find the treasure, the can put the items IN their treasure box.  This is a great way to incorporate core vocabulary.  
My students are using the PECS plus app here to build sentences and comment on what they see.  
Another activity that is always fun is to incorporate is the dot markers.  I was able to use the dot art developed by Mia McDaniel at www.puttingwordsinyourmouth.com and low tech book to make simple requests for dot markers.  
Here is a copy of the letter I send home with my students to let the parents know what we are doing for the week. 
Hope you are able to use some of these ideas with your students!

No comments:

Post a Comment